Friday, December 5, 2008

Icy wonders and reflections


Things happen for a reason, you know. I believe that anyway. I wanted to share a little story about something that happened to me within the last hour. My three-year-old and I were leaving preschool to head home. It is really cold here in the midwest where I live and I was kind of impatient for him to get into the van because I (selfishly) didn't want to stand out in the wind waiting for him any longer. He was taking his time walking along the sidewalk towards our van. He wanted to step in the patches of snow and make footprints. As I was opening my mouth to urge him, once again, to "Hurry up!", I realized that this was one of those moments of wonder that I needed to stop and share with him. As soon as that thought entered my mind, I thought of Jesus and the suffering he endured on his way to the cross so that WE, so that I, could be comfortable and happy. I firmly believe that this thought was God-directed to remind me to stop, slow down and be willing to endure some temporary discomfort in order to allow others to have their joy and wonder. WOW! Seriously...........I was humbled in that moment.
Another thing happened when we arrived home. I pulled the van into our garage as usual. As I was pulling inside my son was trying to tell me about something he had seen but I couldn't understand what he meant. To be honest, I was distracted, already thinking about what I wanted to do when we got inside, etc. I got out of the van and pushed the button to close the door of the garage. Then I helped him get out. He immediately was looking for something. He realized it wasn't in the garage and he said, "Come on, Mommy. Let's go see. Come on." And because of my parking lot revelation, I followed him around to the front of our garage (instead of hurrying him into the warmth of our house) to see what he wanted to show me. There, hanging from the eaves of our garage roof, was a row of icicles, glistening in the noonday sun, as beautiful as anything you've ever seen. And again I stood there humbled and thankful. I am so glad to have the little people in my life, my sons, to show me the wonders of our world. I certainly would never have noticed those icicles on my own. But I do remember my childhood wonder at them. I remember where the longest ones hung at my childhood home. I remember trying to knock them down so I could lick them and feel their shiny cold wetness. And I remember bringing them inside, like my son did today, to hold onto that wonder just a little longer. Thank you, God, for slowing me down today and for the beauty of your creation.

4 comments:

N from the Learning Ark said...

I like your new blog. Having little ones round really helps one to see the other side of life. I continuously have Little-N bringing me back to earth and stopping my ever ticking clock as he makes me marvel at the creation of God. I’m so grateful of it. Thanks for sharing this J

Amber D. said...

Great post!

tracey (aka rainbowmummy) said...

Are you just writing this blog to make me cry? How amazing this post is, how true. As you know I am not religious but your writing speaks volumes to me regardless. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Wow, thank you for the reality check - I needed to hear that this week :)