Saturday, January 3, 2009

Off and running..............

Oh yeah!! I got the quilt pieces all cut out. I spent about 1 1/2 hours last night cutting and was interrupted by a very cute little SOMEONE who woke up and wanted mommy. This was around 11:40 p.m., so I decided just to call it a night and go to bed. It took me about another 30-40 minutes this morning to finish. I packaged everything up in little ziploc baggies as you can see in the photo below. I labelled each bag with the dimensions of the pieces. While this did take a fair amount of time, I think it will facilitate the process once I start sewing.



Tonight while the DH gave our little boy a bath, I set up my "quilting basket." This is such an awesome basket that my sister-in-law Carole gave me a few years ago. It has been next to my bed holding books and magazines and has now gained a new purpose as the place where my quilting stuff will stay during the process of quilt construction. It is perfectly sized for the task. I love that it can easily be transported. Right now it is sitting next to my blue rocking chair waiting patiently for me to finish typing and get started on BLOCK 1!!



Here's the basket. I have all the little baggies of pieces inside it as well as a file folder with the printed directions for making the quilt. I also put together a little repurposed pencil box with some quilting supplies. It is bugging me (especially after seeing the photo) that it doesn't "match" the sage green of the basket liner. Isn't that insane? Don't worry.....I'm not changing it (unless I find something better that I already have). Oh, I also have my 6 inch quilting "square" ruler in there. That will REALLY come in handy. I'll show you why when I write about making the first block.



Here you can see everything nestled in the basket.



Inside the little box are my needles, scissors, quilting thread and a pencil. I have a little one sitting on my lap demanding "hot cocoa right now!" so I guess I'd better attend to that. Hopefully within the next hour I'll be starting my first block. I'm exicted (and a little apprehensive). I'll keep you "posted"......... :0)

No comments: