Friday, May 22, 2009

New dining room drapes

My sewing machine and I have been burning the midnight oil. I was anxious to start stitching my new dining room drapes using the fabric I bought at Hancock Fabrics on Monday. I am really happy with how they turned out. I didn't have a pattern.......I just looked at how my previous JCPenney drapes were constructed. I am really happy with how they turned out. My kitchen, dining room and living room are basically all one big long room. Since I repainted the whole space this week I was ready for some other updates as well. For those of you who voted, my wall color was Honey Butter by Behr. It is a nice warm tannish yellow which is just what I wanted. My former drapes in this area were red gingham checked. I "borrowed" two of them a few weeks ago to replace my sliding closet doors in the bedroom. You can see them in my bedroom here. Since I am stuck with a blue couch and red living room drapes, I had decided last weekend that my decorating theme would be "French country on a shoestring budget." I was thrilled on Monday to find all my decorator fabric for window treatments and pillows for less than $3 per yard. My total cost for the drapes pictured here was less than $16. I went "green" for the drapery lining and used a white bedsheet to line one drape and ripped out the lining of the remaining two red gingham drapes to line the other drape. Formerly I had 4 drapes on this window. They were each 40 inches wide. My new drapes are each 54 inches wide so I only needed two to cover the windows. Below you can see the full view of the drapes against the new Honey Butter walls. It turned out pretty dark, however, because of the time of day that I took it.



The next three photos are close-ups of the details.






I wanted to add a little punch to the drapes so I sewed a strip of navy houndstooth checked fabric on the top and bottom of each drape. I am so happy I did that because it gives them a really custom look and it is also really comfortable and homey which is exactly the look I wanted.







I have also stitched up a valance for the window over my kitchen sink but haven't hung it yet. I will post that as soon as it's done. Tonight after the boys are in bed I am hoping to stitch up a bunch of throw pillows. I have a LOT more projects on the to-do list!! Can't wait to get them done and post them!

1 comment:

Tess said...

The drapes look really super! And for such a low cost too! Well done, you should be really chuffed with yourself? How is the FLYing going?

Best wishes
T