Wednesday, May 6, 2009

SCORE at the thrift store!!

OK..........I'm addicted to my local thrift store. No surprise if you've been reading this blog for a while. I managed to squeeze in a little trip sans boys yesterday and found some GREAT things. Total bill............$13.64. One thing I found that is awesome is the red gingham lampshade you see below. It perfectly matches my new red closet curtains. Isn't that amazing? I brought it right home and replaced the plain cream shade with the new one. In the picture below you can see how well it matches. My only problem now is that the black wrought iron base of the lamp is too.......black......and modern for the shabby chic vibe I'm going for. But I haven't yet found another base that is cheap enough for me to feel okay about buying. I think I'll spray paint the base heirloom white and then maybe hot glue some fringe or pom-poms to the shade and add a tassel. However..........I am open to anyone else's opinions about what to do to spruce up the lamp. Let me know if you have any ideas.





The next photo shows the lamp "before" the new shade. You can also really see that it doesn't quite have a country chic vibe. And I'm thinking Jesus needs a cream colored frame now to match my other ones.




I also found a cute little lamp for only $5. After the bedroom makeover is complete, I am planning to add a shelf over my washer and dryer in the bathroom and add some DECOR in that room. I have been hoping to find a little lamp for that shelf and I think this one is just right. When DH saw it on the vanity countertop for my photoshoot, he said, "What's that hairy thing? Oh.....it's a lamp. I don't think that's going to work in that spot with the boys." I promptly reassured him that it's final resting place will be a shelf that he is going to very sweetly install for me in the near future. Anywho.........yes, it's hairy...........but I'm loving it. Can't beat the price either!!



And here is another GREAT find of the day. It's a little stem vase that looks like a dress. I happened to have a pink daisy left over from our May baskets (I didn't post about those yet) and added it to my new vase. I love it! It is going to live on the writing desk in my bedroom. I am scouting around for other items to share the shelf with it.



I also bought a clear glass bowl for 75 cents. I have seen them on lots of frugal decorating blogs filled with seasonal stuff..........so I don't know what I'll do with it yet......but it was a steal for less than a buck.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

You're such a talented thrift store shopper! And wow! Your store has some great finds! We just in the past few months found a new thrift store will all kinds of treasures, and it's been so fun!

That lampshade is perfect! AMAZING! Could you maybe tie a bow or some raffia around the lamp somewhere to add some 'country/chic'?

I LOVE your sprayed frames! I've always sprayed black for the most part but your white looks fantastic! I'm not rethinking some of my black frames. :) Yours are looking WONDERFUL!

I'm very impressed! It all looks great! Keep up the good work and don't wear yourself out too, too much. :)

American Homemaker said...

I'm so totally addicted to thrift stores too :)