Friday, July 3, 2009

Bean Bag Toss game

Yesterday I saw a great idea on my Google reader from Chica and Jo. As soon as I saw it I wanted to make it. Therefore, the boys and I ventured out to Goodwill to pick up 2 pair of 99cents blue jeans. I cut the pockets off the jeans (leaving the denim back part on), freezer painted red stars on them, filled them with green split peas (71 cents per bag at Hy-Vee), and sewed the top closed on the sewing machine. Voila! 4 totally cute beanbags. I loved the idea of using pockets to make beanbags. I am already thinking of making up a bunch to use in my Montessori classroom this fall. The Chica and Jo post also had really cute painted "spots" made from terra cotta saucers. I actually got out some saucers from our garage last night and cleaned them and was thinking about making them, but decided they might be too breakable with my two boys. So I opted for the easier (albeit not as cute) way and made my "spots" from Chinet plates with the numbers written on with Sharpie markers. I think the boys will still enjoy them as much. I'm thinking of picking up some plastic flower pot saucers and spray painting them, however. That would make a fun outdoor game to have on hand.

Anyway, below you can see the 4 beanbags I made. I copied Chica and Jo and painted the red stars on them. However, think of all the possibilities for embellishing these. You could add cute ribbon trim, rick-rack, buttons, fringe. So many options!!







It feels good to actually make something for the boys. Ever since we decided to get chickens, it seems that much of our time has been spent renovating our shed into a chicken coop. Therefore, some of the "great ideas" I had for projects with the boys this summer have fallen by the wayside. I'm trying to make up for it with some fun 4th of July activities such as this one and a few others I'll be posting soon.

No comments: