Thursday, July 30, 2009

Christmas Gift Ideas

As you can tell from reading all my posts about the Christmas Book activities, I'm really trying to plan ahead this year for gift-giving. It seems like every year during about the first or second week of December I start panicking about what I'm going to give people like Sunday School teachers, piano teachers, bus drivers, etc. This year I'm getting a big head start. I went to Hancock Fabrics the other day and bought a few fun Christmas cotton prints. I'm planning to make up some reversible cloth napkins. Then I'll package a napkin or two with a Christmas mug (I've picked up a bunch of cute ones at Goodwill for about 59 cents each), a package of Minty Hot Cocoa Mix (recipe below), a chocolate spoon, and a bag of homemade star-shaped peppermint marshmallows. Wouldn't that be a fun gift to receive? I'm also going to use Christmas fabric to make an apron for my sons' teachers. Oh, I am my youngest son's teacher, so I guess that means I'm getting a new Christmas apron this year. YAY! I have made several aprons as gifts, but don't actually own ANY myself.


Here are the three fabrics I chose. Not the greatest picture, however.






Here is the Minty Cocoa Mix recipe. I got this recipe from this awesome book that I own. I LOVE Gooseberry Patch stuff.............if you are into homemade, be sure to check out their website here and order a catalog. Fun, fun stuff!!









OK...............now for the recipe:




Minty Hot Cocoa Mix




1 1/4 cup powdered milk


1/4 cup hot chocolate mix


1/4 cup mint chocolate chips


2 T. powdered chocolate non-dairy creamer


1 t. cinnamon


Mix all ingredients; pour into a one-pint jar. Attach a gift tag with instructions. Makes 2 cups mix.




NOTE: I am going to give approximately half of this recipe in a Ziploc bag, but I HAVE given this in a pint jar before.




Instructions: Place 1/3 cup mixture into a mug. Add one cup boiling water. Stir until mint chips are melted. Makes one serving.

2 comments:

Debmom4ca said...

If you would like a more profesional looking presentation consider putting the mix in a disposable icing bag. It won't be resealable, well it could be if you use a pipe cleaner. You could dress it up with beads and wind the ends around a pencil.

Krystal said...

It's a great idea to start thinking about Christmas early. Maybe if I do a little bit at a time, we won't go over our budget in December like we always do. I do love those Gooseberry Patch books. I have one for gift jars and they turned out really cute. I remember doing gift coffee mugs with my mom when I was younger (minus the homemade napkins!) and they were so much fun to assemble. Great ideas - thank you!